nanog mailing list archives

RE: NANOG/IEPG/ISOC's current role

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming () unety net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:21:12 -0600

On Wednesday, April 03, 1996 8:17 PM, Dalvenjah FoxFire[SMTP:dalvenja () ict org] wrote:
@On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:
@
@> sooner or later we will have to kill off the /24's, which make up 70% of
@> the routing table but offer way less than 10% of the total reachable
@> destinations.  perhaps now that address ownership has been put to bed,
@> the gang of big providers can agree on a date after which they will all
@> stop listening to or exporting any prefixes longer than /23?  THAT would
@> be the incentive the industry needs to look at private addressing and
@> aggressive renumbering.  who's willing to risk collusion lawsuits and
@> lost customers?  step right up and sign the register please.
@
@I'm not sure if this is the most completely wrong place to ask this
@question, so please forgive me if it is, but I'm not sure where else
@to ask it...
@

Most countries are still free...ask what you like...where you like...
sometimes you might get replies...which, you may like or not like...

@As someone who's about to renumber a public school district from a /24
@to something else, what would be the smallest network to get (from
@InterNIC) that would pretty much be guaranteed to be routed for the next
@few years? I'm thinking a /22 at the moment, but am not sure.
@

In my opinion, this notion of the IPv4 address space being exhausted is
bogus. There is a lot of life left in IPv4. Social engineering is more of a factor
in IP address allocations than technical or resource limits. Too much power
is in the hands of too few people.

You should ask for at least a /16. If a cable TV company with no subscribers
can get most of a /8, I would think a school district would have some clout.
(This of course assumes that you have real students and not virtual students :-)

The way that you guarantee routability is to get the large "carriers" and ISPs
involved in your community activities. Make sure the mayor of your community
directly contacts the executives of these commercial companies that are trying to
develop market share in your area. Make sure that those executives understand
that you want to remain routable and make sure that they send representatives
to help with the network engineering plans, etc. Take pictures and invite the press.

Make sure that you publicize which companies provided the school district(s)
(and libraries) with the support they need at this critical planning stage. Turn
this into a positive PR opportunity and make sure that plenty of politicians
are involved. (BTW, this is an election year)

As for long-term routability...
Do you really think large carriers and ISPs are going to cut off your school district
if they realize that part of their current and future business comes from the
parents of the children in your schools...?

@Granted the best solution would be go to our provider (all the schools
@in Santa Clara County, CA go through the county office of education for
@internet access) and have them get an /18 or something and distribute
@that, but they don't seem to want that. Should I push them for this
@solution?
@

I would not fiddle with anything less than a /16...you might consider reclaiming
an unused /16 from one of the belly-up companies in your area...maybe one
of the companies in your area that is sitting on a /8 with little usage would be
willing to make some headlines about helping the school district(s)...

Maybe you should have some of the ISPs and carriers help you develop a
"Total Community" Internet Plan (TCIP)...again, make a positive PR experience
out of the process...get as many people and students involved as possible...
use the Web as a forum...let people know that you are serious about the long-term
plans for not only the school district(s) but the community.

If you find that ISPs are too busy for this sort of thing, because they are too busy
raking in cash...then that might be some clue about how long they intend to stick
around once they have enough dollars to retire...

@Thanks in advance, and apologies for the 'dumb' traffic.
@
@-Sven Nielsen
@
@  Dalvenjah FoxFire, the Teddy Dragon (also known as Sven Nielsen to some :)

Also...get your local PBS people involved...who knows, if you work hard...you may get
national coverage...

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Hi all -

Since we are holding the next NANOG in Washington DC, I thought it might be
interesting to see if CSPAN was interested in broadcasting it (a nice
alternative/addition to the Mbone I think.)  I contacted the CSPAN folks and
they tell me that they usually don't decide what event to cover until the
day before or so, but if we wanted to make this meeting open to the public
(it is) and let them know the agenda, then they can consider it.  Does this
sound ok?

Bill

-----
William Norton                  <wbn () merit edu>                      (313) 936-2656
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Also...if you are not able to get a /16...contact the U.S Congressional Internet Caucus...

        http://www.house.gov/white/internet_caucus/netcauc.html

also check out The Citizen's Guide to the Net...

        http://www.vtw.org/citguide/citguide.html

forget about the traditional ways of getting resources from the chosen few....
...take it to the people...they will give you the resources you need...

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.

e-mail: JimFleming () unety net