nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG

From: "David ``Joel Katz'' Schwartz" <stimpson () stimpson igc net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:00:36 -0500 (EST)

        Obviously, we need to find some faster light.

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Wolfgang Henke wrote:

Hmm...

Using a real in use backbone of one of the mayor service providers,
I find that a DS3 between silicon valley to Chicago has a 44 msec
latency going through 4 hops. That's about the speed of light in
fiber for the 5000 mile roundtrip ICMP ping packets.

Using ATM will reduce the router latency. I estimate that with TCP/IP
over ATM over SONET OC-3c the latency will be reduced from 44 msec
to 40 msec, only a rather small improvement. The bandwidth used on the
fiber wont matter much. With OC-12c I would still expect 40 msec or so
since the speed of light in fiber is the limiting factor.

Wolfgang