Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:39:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harold Burstyn <burstynh () iname com>
Date: October 19, 2008 2:06:39 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

Dave Wilson  wrote:
If I might weigh in (and, as always, I'm speaking solely for myself on this issue): The problem with these instruments isn't that they're all worthless, but that nobody knows exactly what each of them is worth (some of them are doubtless worthless, but many if not most of them have simply been overvalued). It's true that this lack of clarity has contributed to the credit freeze, but if, for example, all these instruments are declared worthless as of Nov. 1, 2008, that creates a cascade failure throughout the system. For example, any loan secured with one of those now non-existent instruments gets called in by the lender; you'd have to sell your other assets at firesale prices to pay that loan off. If you think the economy is bad now, that's nothing to what would happen if tens of trillions of dollars of assets suddenly ceased to exist. Certainly the problems related to these instruments were caused on no small measure by a great deal of fraud from mortgage brokers, assessors, banks who failed to perform due diligence before issuing mortgages to people who lacked the resources to make payments, and homebuyers who falsified their data so they could get a mortgage. But these issues don't apply to every single one of these instruments (more precisely, while a certain amount of fraudulent activity clearly negatively impacts each of these instruments, it's not clear at this point which instruments, if any, are completely worthless and which have simply been slightly over valued). To a certain extent, this situation has arisen because of deliberate obfuscation by the people who developed these instruments, but that does not mean that these instruments are all completely worthless. To the extent that one can identify fraud relating to individual instruments, then those particular instruments can and should be declared void (and doubtless would be by court). But simply declaring an entire class of contract invalid because some / many / most of those contracts are based on some element of fraud is both inappropriate and dangerous, in my opinion, since it makes the ability to create enforceable contracts going forward extremely problematic. Who is going to enter into contractual arrangements in the future if they're worried that the courts won't enforce that contract?

The above post does not respond to the suggestion that only speculative CDSs be voided, that is, those contracts of insurance, if there be any, whose holders have nothing at stake in the transaction they have insured against failing. We've always demanded that the purchaser of insurance have an insurable interest. That is, I cannot buy an insurance policy on the life of an individual unless that individual's death has financial consequences for me, e.g., my parent, wife, or child. I cannot buy fire insurance on the house on my street owned by someone else. I see no reason why insurance policies held by entities with no insurable interest cannot be voided. If they are really insurance, is it possible that they are void on their face?
--
Harold L. Burstyn, Attorney-at-Law (NY & FL) and Registered Patent Attorney 216 Bradford Parkway, Syracuse NY 13224-1767, tel. (315) 445-0620, fax (509) 479-4103 Adjunct Professor, L. C. Smith College of Engineering & Computer Science, Syracuse University CST 4-232, Syracuse NY 13244-4100, tel. (315) 443-4375, fax (315) 443-2583
burstynh at iname.com http://www.burstyn.net