Interesting People mailing list archives

Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:22:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 12, 2008 3:26:30 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

I find the framing of this discussion in terms of "what military
operations require" quite interesting.

To eliminate the blinders, consider if we framed inter-governmental
economic interactions in terms of "what counterfeiters require" or "what
international fraudsters (such as the "Nigerian" cons) require".

While it is fashionable to think of "the military" as heroic and
"intelligence professionals" as ethical, at least to their own
countrymen, to others they are murderers and thieves.

Perhaps we can keep space free of activities and people who are (in
their own nations) heroic and ethically good only in an extremely narrow
contextual perspective.

Should we wear the blinders of ultra-nationalists when there are no
nations in space?

Begin forwarded message: