Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "The ID Divide"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:26:07 -0700

From: Mary Shaw [mary.shaw () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 2:45 PM
To: David Farber; Bob Frankston
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: "The ID Divide"

This brings us to a question that has been on my mind for a while --

                Why should I have a single "true identity"?

What's wrong with my maintaining multiple personas, either in the real world or the virtual world?  Why can't I be a
librarian by day and a jazz pianist by night, indeed under different names?  For that matter, whats wrong with several
people jointly maintaining one persona (e.g. Publius, Bourbaki). Sure, there should be some ground rules, like taking
appropriate responsibility for whatever commitments I make in each persona. Sure, I should be restricted on a single
civic identity for voting and government benefits, but why should I, for example, maintain credit and travel only under
my civic identity?

Corporations are in some respects treated like persons, and those can be created and disbanded if sufficient
obligations are satisfied (taxes, contracts, ..)

So let me pose this question:  What would be a sufficient set of policies to allow me to create multiple independent
legal personas? "Independent" could mean "strong enough that an identity thief could only get one of them" or perhaps
"strong enough that my employer / government / church could not make the connection".

Mary Shaw