Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "The ID Divide"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:54:33 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 12:50 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Dan Lynch'
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:     "The ID Divide"

The problem is the word “Identity. For a hospital it is your body. But for social networking sites you don’t want to
give out your one true identity (AKA name/password) – you need to provide proxy authorization or agency. But the rush
to monetize can’t wait for such a sophisticated idea. It’s the same as confusing the DNS with trademark (or telecom
with railroads). But even in the hospitals we’re still coming to terms of concepts of agency and informed consent.

In thinking about Spectrum’s Singularity site there’s a disconnect between the complexity of ambiguous social issues
and the naiveté in mapping it into technology as if there were just one grand context as per the other meaning of ID –
Intelligent Design.

It’s going to take a generation to sort out the social ambiguities and even longer if we insist on the kind of hill
climbing algorithms inherent in focusing on short term unenlightened ROI. This is not about greedy corporations as much
as the degree to which we’ve removed ambiguity. The cruel irony is that we tend to imbue “science” with the aura of
certainty when it’s just the opposite – science is very conditional. But as we apply math to finance we tend to accept
arbitrary measures which then fail when the context changes – as they must.