Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: worth reading -- QOS Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:51:29 -0700

From: Dave Crocker [dcrocker () bbiw net]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:37 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip; Waclawsky John-A52165; Tony Lauck; Christian Huitema; Richard Bennett
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   worth reading --  QOS  Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

Guys,

From: Tony Lauck [tlauck () madriver com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:19 PM
Is it better to provide adequate service by special handling of certain
"demanding" types of packets or is it better to provide adequate service by
resource sizing with simple but fair scheduling policies?  There is a trade
off between devoting resources to developing and implementing QoS mechanisms
throughout the network and host computer stacks vs. devoting resources to
provisioning additional capacity.

Yes, these are core questions.

Although subject to its own misunderstanding, the "end to end" principle for the
Internet has provided extremely helpful guidance in trying to answer these
questions for protocol design efforts.  At its base, the principle says to keep
complexity out of the infrastructure and, instead, locate it at the edges.

The misunderstanding comes from applying that guidance mechanically and to the
detriment of particular applications. The Internet is, after all, predicated on
mediated exchange, which means that the mediation stations (routers) have to
represent some amount of functionality and, therefore, complexity.

So, rather, the real rule is to make changes to the core only when there is no
other way to solve a problem.  And my contention -- with some hope folks
appreciate the pun in using that word in this context -- is that some
applications are sufficiently performance sensitive to require infrastructure
support.

However, given that QOS -- or, if you prefer, call it Service Level Agreements
-- is so difficult to make useful in large scale, we also need to have rock
solid justification for requiring it.  The lesson of Internet video and voice,
so far, is that we do not need it nearly as often as one would have expected.

Note that it well might prove adequate to have a hybrid model:  Use a QOS
mechanism for those portions of the path that are constrained, and don't for
those parts that aren't.  For example, edge networks tend to be far more
constrained than do core ones.

Dave Crocker has made one specific claim regarding transient contention being
 the difference between "almost never" and "never". This is not an meaningful
 distinction in the real world, because real systems fail. One is always
working with probabilities. QoS services with real-time guarantees require
redundancy coupled with real-time fail over, and this has historically been
achieved only with high levels of redundancy. High degrees of "almost never"
can be achieved at high cost. "Never" comes at infinite cost.

Having packets lost or delivered late many times during a single telephone
conversation makes conversation impossible.  Having this problem occur once a
week, for one occurrence, doesn't.  "Almost never" has its own range of
definitions.  As Tony noted, the real question is balance.

My concern in this thread is the apparent assumption that big pipes solve all
problems, when we have plenty of history to show it isn't true.

Most real networks have real constraints.  If 10 people each need 10 packets per
second from a 100 packet per second router, they will all probably get what they
need.  If another user shows up and also needs 10 packets per second, do we make
only that new user unhappy, or do we make everyone?  Imposing a discipline which
constrains who suffers in the face of real constraints requires crossing the
line into some form of QOS.  And since flow management is already in routers, we
are now merely haggling QOS price.  Not principle.