Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: worth reading -- QOS Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:52:51 -0700

From: Waclawsky John-A52165 [jgw () motorola com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:39 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: RE: [IP] worth reading --  QOS  Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

My intent with the "pipes comment" was not to deflect from the major
points outlined further in my QoS observations note, that QoS is really
very hard. I don't see it as an adequate substitute for capacity (my
experiences were outlined). My intent was to use the "pipes" as way to
express the fact that core network capacity is increasing and there is a
good deal of capacity for various reasons related to design, reliability
etc. because of not only pipe size but other factors (from Moore's law)
such a node processing speed and memory capability, etc. Well run
networks seem to be typically driven by network design objectives, good
capacity planning, ability to support peak loads, etc. for connectivity,
back-up and recovery and reliability etc..

I have found network have 4 kinds of delays: transmission or encoding
delay (measured link by link, which is about putting packets of a
certain size on a link of a certain speed), processing delay (time where
packets wait at a node while it figures out what to do with or where to
switch each packet), propagation delay (speed of light limitation over
distance) and queuing delay (unproductive delay waiting somewhere in the
network for a resource). I have found that network capacity
planning/optimization is a never ending bottleneck resolution process.
Remove one bottleneck and you find the next one.

Certainly fiber offers enormous capacity and drives down one type of
delay (such as encoding delay) causing another to potentially become a
bottleneck focus (processing delay). Capacity from both pipes and nodes
needs to be considered as part of good capacity planning practices and
network design goals to keep traffic out of unproductive queues, which
if packets wait too long will disturb some applications. But, regardless
of where the bottlenecks are, getting all these queues and resources to
operate under some end-to-end QoS scheme seems more than a little
unlikely especially since QoS has been discussed since the dawn of
networking ...and now adding node queues to the mix of things that need
to be QoS managed doesn't appear to simplify the QoS challenges. The QoS
ROI seems highly questionable and QoS brings in other issues, for
example it is another thing to manage or configure incorrectly etc.
(more in my original note) and QoS is NOT an adequate substitute for
capacity in my experience. My 2 cents.