Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: worth reading -- QOS Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:51:31 -0700

From: Richard Bennett [richard () bennett com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:58 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   worth reading --  QOS  Author is Motorola, Chief Software Architect

One of the great myths of network history is the notion that Bob Metcalfe's Ethernet "beat" Token Ring and other
QoS-enabling systems. In fact, the networks that we call "Ethernet" today are hybrids that incorporate some of the
mechanisms pioneered by coaxial cable Ethernet alongside some that were borrowed from Token Ring. The cable topology
and technology in modern Ethernet are closer to Token Ring than to coaxial cable with distributed transceivers, stars
with twisted-pair cabling. And similarly, we now have switches in the first hop, which can and do enforce QoS through
priority bits in the VLAN tag and by configuration in the switch., much as Token Ring did with its priority classes.
And we have similar mechanisms for simple QoS by priority in WLAN systems, following 802.11e and WMM.

So the history of layer two networking actually illustrates the broad utility of QoS at the same time that it
illustrates the value of KISS: simple QoS-by-priority has beaten complex QoS-by-reservation pretty handily.

We need QoS on data links where the level of traffic fluctuates wildly moment-by-moment, and these are most often
first/last hop segments. As we approach the Internet core, statistics maintain more constant levels of traffic as
user-based traffic fluctuations tend to average out.

We currently protect the core from overload by constraining the amount of data that can enter the network from the
leaves, but as we upgrade the first hop to accommodate peer-to-peer, we may very well shift overload further into the
network.

So let's bear in mind the correct definition of KISS as a design principle: make your systems as simple as possible,
but no simpler.

RB