Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:00:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: August 18, 2008 5:58:12 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] NSF and the Birth of the Internet

Whenever I talk about some aspect of Internet history, I personally try to be as inclusive as possible - as you probably know. The great thing about the Internet was the insight that there could be "One Network" that included them all - and a lot of people contributed to that grand effort.

You'd think that we could have *InterHistory* - a general sense that a network that worked by being inclusive was built by people who tried hard to be inclusive. I can't help but think that it's the johnny-come-latelies who want their ego gratified. These are the folks who weren't around when the greats who invented packet-based communications and reduced it to practice created the foundation, and the visionaries like Van Bush, Englebart, Licklider, and Taylor created the transformative notion of how people would use such a grand vision to transform the world.

These guys thought big, crazy thoughts. NSF, BBN, Cisco, ... just followed their directions - doing great engineering, yes. But the idea that *Ray Tomlinson* gets the credit for electronic messaging, when Englebart did what he did is insane.

Not to disparage Ray - he was a great engineer, and contributed much more than the "@".

David Farber wrote:
Come on Dave it is just the 1984 mode of USG lately. I was rather pissed with the VERY small mention of CSNet and the activities that lead though NSFnet , the NREN etc. Lots of people got ignored . I was especially annoyed with the NSF "we invented the internet" mentality.

Normally I would say "what the hell" but if there is no reaction from the community , this will be the definitive history in a few years.

Dave