Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:09:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 17, 2008 6:32:32 PM EDT
To: "'Bruce Kushnick'" <bruce () newnetworks com>, "'Open Infrastructure Alliance'" <oia () lists bway net> Subject: Re: [OIA] [IP] California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

They bill for local service?? Why?

Yes, it’s 100% politics because there is nothing to be charged for. It’s not just the lack of competition but the complete bogus idea that phone bits are so very special that you can charge people for them even though you can’t charge for email bits or video bits.

It makes no more sense that requiring a postage stamp for email. You don’t win by negotiating the price down by 90%.