Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Searching a laptop not same as searching a backpack

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:24:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: WJCarpenter <bill-ip () carpenter org>
Date: August 17, 2008 8:57:28 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Searching a laptop not same as searching a backpack

[for IP?]

1. When customs authorities search books and papers at the border,
they can and do make copies, which last every bit as long as
electronic records from laptops (longer, if my experience with hard
drive failure is anything to go by).

This reminded me a something similar I had read in this Wikipedia entry about John Reed's return from Russia in 1918 after the revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Days_that_Shook_the_World

"Upon returning from Russia during April 1918 from Kristiania in Norway, after being barred from either traveling to the United States or returning to Russia since February 23 by the State Department, Reed's trunk of notes and materials on the revolution — which included Russian handbills, newspapers, and speeches — were seized by custom officials, who interrogated him for four hours over his activities in Russia during the previous eight months. ... Reed would not receive his materials until seven months months later in November."

After which he wrote "Ten Days that Shook the World", eventually made into the movie "Reds".