Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Article by John Berresford

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:48:32 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Berresford <John.Berresford () fcc gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:04:39 -0500
To: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Wayne Andrew Leighton <leighton () ufm edu gt>
Subject: RE: [IP] New Article by John Berresford

Dear Mr. Berger:

Thank you for your candid comment!  Speaking just for myself, I think we
need more "engineers and scientists commenting on legislatures and legal
proceedings."  I (a lawyer, not an engineer) gather that you are promoting
the dynamic assignment technologies such as UWB which, as you say, "are
becoming technologically feasible."  My own perhaps uneducated observation
is that they may revolutionize everything, but not soon.  They should be the
subject of "bold and persistent experimentation," but in the meantime the
law has to deal with what's established and invested in by suppliers and
consumers.  Even after the airplane was invented and proved feasible as a
business, there were (and still are) a lot of roads, cars, trucks, and ships
that need attention.

Anyway, thanks again for writing.

John Berresford