Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:32:28 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Patrik Fältström <paf () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:57:16 +0100
To: Frode Greisen <frode () greisen net>
Cc: Joakim Strålmark <joakim.stralmark () pts se>, David Farber
<dave () farber net>, Gordon Lennox <gordon () stupid domain name>
Subject: Re: ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

As talks and
correspondence grew and took time without progress we sent the request
RIPE NCC and a bit later the regulator got the official request from
ITU-T.
Their response to this difficult situation was to hand over the case to
their resort ministry (for Science, Technology and Development).

This is happening because the holder of the country code for Denmark
made the choice of doing so, and the holder of the Danish country code
in E.164 made the choice of blocking deployment of ENUM and VoIP.

In other countries, Sweden for example, the regulator made the choice
of moving forward, suggesting a trial to start asap (and that includes
request delegation of the country code for Sweden to the party that
runs DNS for .SE ccTLD). Now when the trial is over, the regulator has
suggested to the government that ENUM use should be permanent (but
until the government make a decision, the trial continue so people can
use ENUM).

I have personally, together with Joakim Strålmark from the regulator in
Sweden, visited Denmark many years ago suggesting the same mechanism
for Denmark, so evolution of services and convergence according to the
Lisbon Agenda is not blocked.

I am sorry to hear your government did not understand those arguments,
or see other arguments having heavier weight.

As I live close to Copenhagen, and agree with you that the regulator in
Denmark has made the wrong choice, don't hesitate contacting me if you
want more arguments.

If nothing else, you can say "sweden didn't block evolution as you did"
to whoever is responsible, and see whether that helps. The report from
the regulator is excellent (but only in Swedish, but I am pretty sure
you can manage that).

      Regards, Patrik

------ End of Forwarded Message