Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:25:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:17:15 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

Dave,

It sounds as if the current ENUM administration is working exactly as
intended... and exactly as needed.

I suspect the real problem is that the innovators feel the need to be too
bureaucratic, themselves.

Here's why...

  From: Frode Greisen <frode () greisen net>
  Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:17:38 +0100
  There is an agreement between the ITU and the IESG that the RIPE NCC runs
  the top level domain but requests to operate county domains must go to ITU-T
  which forwards the request to the country telecom regulator for decision.

Telephone number administration is a well-established global infrastructure
service.  ENUM is specified as a direct extension to it.  This means that
assignment of numbers that are the official DNS instantiation of the PSTN
E.164 number MUST be fully coordinated with the existing E.164 assignment
agencies.  And this means that anyone seeking to administer a national ENUM
registry MUST incur the overhead and approval of the E164 national
regulatory agency bureaucracy.

For what it's worth, I suspect some of these national agencies would be open
to having "experimental" administration using special procedures, during
initial operation of an official E.164 ENUM national registry. But, of
course, this depends upon the laws and policies governing operation of the
individual national registries.

Concern about coordination with PSTN national registries received
considerable discussion and debate during the ENUM development.  The
potential for serious problems is real.

However, none of this prevents parallel innovation...