Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:20:09 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Kevin Murphy <kmurphy () datamonitor com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:14:54 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

In the case of ENUM, ICANN has a tendency to defer to ITU.

There have been a number of proposals to do commercial ENUM in a top-level
domain, by launching a domain such as .tel, with ICANN's consent.
Pulver.com, of Free World Dialup, has been one of the proponents of this
idea, applying to ICANN to run .tel in 2000 and again last year.

The 2000 application was declined by ICANN due to the objections of the ITU,
which is concerned that there could be conflict with the E164 numbering
plan. ITU objected again last year, so it looks rather like the same thing
is going to happen this time around, though ICANN has not publicly come out
and said so yet.

Kevin Murphy

US Bureau Chief
ComputerWire