Interesting People mailing list archives

Sen. Boxer's Statement on the FCC Decision on Media Ownership

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:55:31 -0400

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:11:21 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Mike Cheponis.  DLH]

From: Mike Cheponis <mac () Wireless Com>
Subject: Sen. Boxer's Statement on the FCC Decision on Media Ownership
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:10:08 -0700

(Sent to me   -mac)

I thought you would be interested in the following message.

STATEMENT BY U.S. SENATOR BARBARA BOXER ON THE FCC DECISION TO
RELAX MEDIA OWNERSHIP RULES

The FCC's decision to relax key media ownership rules is a blow
to the free flow of ideas that the American people deserve.

This change will allow massive media giants to grow - media
giants that already use multiple outlets to promote their views
and dominate public debate, creating the problem of a media
echo. We have already seen the unfortunate results of radio
station consolidation, where conglomerates overwhelm the public
consciousness and drown out alternative voices.  I believe that
example proves a system of  robust competition is more
necessary than ever.

Both liberal and conservative media watchdog groups have
opposed this change for fear that this will homogenize our
airwaves and newspapers.  We as a society are best served by a
diverse marketplace of ideas and viewpoints.  This deregulation
serves only to accommodate the growth of media giants, and the
unavoidable result will be a further stifling of democratic
discourse.

On Wednesday, the Senate Commerce Committee will hold a hearing
where all five FCC commissioners will be present, and I look
forward to expressing my concerns about this decision at that
time.  I hope the committee will also consider the legislation
(S.1046) that I have joined in cosponsoring with Senators
Stevens and Hollings, to maintain the current national
television ownership cap of 35%.

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>