Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Read it and be real worried -- [And we need a missile shield !! ]-- Pentagon Tracked Deadly Jet but Found No Way to Stop It

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:47:45 -0400

One hour and they could not get a jet fighter there I assume from Andrews I could drive it in less time.. Wonder what would have happened if it had been a old USSR bomber coming in. Sounds like not contingency plans at all and fouled up chain of command.

Dave

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/15/national/15CONT.html

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 — During the hour or so that American Airlines Flight 77 was under the control of hijackers, up to the moment it struck the west side of the Pentagon, military officials in a command center on the east side of the building were urgently talking to law enforcement and air traffic control officials about what to do.

But despite elaborate plans that link civilian and military efforts to control the nation's airspace in defense of the country, and despite two other jetliners' having already hit the World Trade Center in New York, the fighter planes that scrambled into protective orbits around Washington did not arrive until 15 minutes after Flight 77 hit the Pentagon. Even if they had been there sooner, it is not clear what they would have done to thwart the attack.

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/