Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Airline responsibility....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:07:58 -0400

To: dave () farber net
cc: mo () ccr org
Subject: Airline responsibility....
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:33:00 -0400
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>

the airlines are indeed responsible for the poor level of
security which has operated in the past at airports.
but in fairness, we have to ask why this is the case.

the answer is that the government abrogated their responsibility
for this critical piece of national security maintenance by
delegating to the airlines, who then further delegated it to the
lowest bidder (in the finest "open market" manner, i might add).

there is a real difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap", and
this was demonstrated in a most horrible fashion.

but this is precisely the behavior the government asked for when
it created the operating policy they have been using up to now.

there have been various polls about "would you pay an extra $25 per
ticket for better security?"  Excuse me, but i pay a lot more than
that on April 15th every year and the notion that i now might have to
pay extra for the reasonably expected level of competence is more than
just a bit cheeky.

it is clear now (although it should have been clear before) that the
national security perimeter includes security perimeter at airports
and i expect that to exhibit the same level of diligence which we
provide embassies and other "official" installations.  I was fortunate
to have a US Marine Embassy Guard as a roommate in college, and while
i was initially incredulous, i and everyone on the dorm floor very
quickly acquired immense respect for him, both personally and as
the consumate professional.  this was 1972 and he changed a lot
of minds and attitudes that year.

we do not have to settle for refugees from the fast-food world who
don't yet have enough command of English to take a hamburger order
(this is not xenophobia, it is an observation of the facts at Dulles
just last week).  we have professionals who know how to do the job
with polish and quiet pride, but who can respectfully push back
with all the force required by a situation, even deadly force if
required.

the government should admit this security perimeter is possibly the
most difficult we have to deal with because of the large number of
persons who must pass quickly and efficiently, and then be responsible
for providing the best and the brightest to do this critical job.

        -mo

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/