Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Constant spam from Verizon.net

From: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan () terradon com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:21:54 -0400

Unfortunately, some of our systems are hosted on verizon.  We see, and
shoot down thousands of exploit attempts and spam mails per day from IP
addresses that are logically near our address space.  We sent email to
abuse () verizon net only to receive an autoreply that states that we are
not whitelisted to send to them.  I then asks for a process of jumping
through a fire-ringed hoop while dancing an irish jig, and if the moon
and stars align while you're doing it, you can send them email.

Here's what I think happened:

Verizon Security Tech:  "We're getting ten thousand abuse complaints per
day, I'm overwhelmed."
Verizon PHB: "Hey, what if we made it a lot harder for people to send
you email! That'd cut down the workload right?"
Verizon Security Tech:  "uh, well, yeah, but ummm...."
Verizon PHB: "Great! Problem solved!  I fixed teh intarweb!  Next item
on the agenda...."

Pure conjecture on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Good luck reporting security incidents to Verizon.