Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Proper ISP Reporting

From: "Scott Fuhriman" <fuhrimans () llix net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:50:20 -0700

I work for an ISP/Datacenter where we actively take steps to assist with any
abuse reports we receive.
The information Jack has provided for a report is the kind of information
that is needed, however another item is needed.

We often get abuse reports from people and they don't leave any information
on the attacked ip address(es).  Simply giving a source IP address and what
kind of abuse was occurring is insufficient, it is also important to provide
the IP address(es) and ports of the destination of the abuse activity.
Remember that the IP address may be spoofed as well, so when contacting a
service provider do so with the realization that it may not have occurred
from the source logged.

It is often easier to investigate when you know the destination of the
attack so the provider can monitor any traffic from their network to the
destination.  Sanitized log files from the victim is also another item to
consider providing the provider once you have established communication with
them.

Unfortunately, many ISPs out there don't have the skill, experience or
proper infrastructure to mitigate malicious activity.  This is when you must
take mitigation measures into your own hands or your direct upstream
provider can assist you if you don't get a response from the possible
offending providers network.

Scott