Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Proper ISP Reporting

From: Rod Barnhart <rod.barnhart () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:11:38 -0400

I spent about five years as the support manager for a local ISP and
responded to abuse, hostmaster, and support email. Without more
details about what type of thing you're reporting, I can only speak in
generalities. I can also only say how I handled things for the ISP I
was at. I'm sure the big boys handle things differently.

First, make sure you provide documentation. Make sure you indicate
what timezone your logs are in, and send them. Feel free to obscure
your own IP address space if you'd like. I can't tell you how many
reports I had that simply said "ZoneAlarm reported XXXX attack from
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at 5am." When asked for logs, the sender had no idea
how to obtain them, nor understood that it may have been a
false-positive. On the occassions that it was a legitimate abuse
complaint, 90% of the time the sender would fail to indicate the
timezone their logs were in, making it impossible for me to track down
what subscriber was assigned that IP address at that time.

Also, be polite. I'm sure I'm not the only person who was abuse@ who
had many other duties. If you're demanding my log files, I'm going to
demand a sopena and leave it to you to figure out where to send it. If
you're politely stating that a criminal case may result, I'm going to
tell you that we require a sopena to release our log files, but I will
be as cooperative as possible without violating the privacy of our
users.

Finally, we had extremely low log retention times. We were happy to
put in a best-effort to help, but if it had rotated out of our logs,
there wasn't a lot we could do to help.

Also, in my position there, I had to send abuse reports to other ISPs.
From experience, it appeared many people who responded where as
overworked as I was. Unfortunately, many of them were less responsive
than I was.

Rod Barnhart