Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: best defense (was: Re: Novarg

From: "Greg A. Woods" <woods () weird com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:11:33 -0500 (EST)

[ On Thursday, January 29, 2004 at 09:30:07 (-0500), Meritt James wrote: ]
Subject: best defense (was: Re: Novarg

I disagree with Greg's statement and agree with Jonathan.  You cannot
make something foolproof because fools are so ingenius.

For the record I didn't say one could make software foolproof.

I said that software designers should do their best to make dangerous
operations non-intuitive.

I also said that not running _known_to_be_vulnerable_ software in the
first place was still the _best_ defense.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods () robohack ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>          Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>