Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Novarg - Stopping .Zip Files

From: Alvin Mills <alvin.mills () ttuhsc edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:09:25 -0600

TippingPoint....http://www.tippingpoint.com. Hands down the best money I ever spent to improve the security of our network. It can handle the bandwidth and your mail servers can continue to do what they were designed to do and that is to route mail, not fight viruses/worms.

Just my opinion.

Keith W. McCammon wrote:
Don't know of any IPS tools, largely because I think that most IPS are nonsense. But I digress...

Any SMTP gateway should be able to shut this down on a moments notice, which is what I've done countless times to allow my AV systems to catch up to other countermeasures.

Just my opinion.

Tom Milliner wrote:

Could someone tell me if there is an IPS solution
which could be quickly programmed to stop .zip
files?  I wish we could have stopped .zip files long
enough for our anti-virus program to get its updates.

Tom Milliner, CPA, MCSE
Director of Information Services
Greater Dallas Assc of Realtors
8201 N. Stemmons Frwy