Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Novarg

From: steve bernacki <virus () f copacetic net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:17:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Stephen Warren wrote:
[snip]
I also have backup MX using DynDNS (www.dyndns.org). I
notice that *all* the copies of the Novarg email are coming in via the
backup MX, then being forwarded to my box, despite all other emails (spam,
virii/worms and real stuff) all going direct to my box...

I don't recall which of the many recent mailer virii/worms also did this,
but it was theorized that this was done intentionally under the hope
that a site's backup MX server may not have the same level of A/V scanning
that the primary has.  Such a scenario could allow the virus to enter
through the side door rather than the more heavily guarded main entrance.

Steve