Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP/SYN Flood

From: Dr J <doctorj () bigpond net au>
Date: 23 May 2003 10:39:57 +1000

Add the lines (should be OK for an inbound acl - check
with your netprogs)

deny ip host 0.0.0.0 any
deny ip host 255.255.255.255 any

to destroy packets destined for broadcast addresses.

Your router should also be configured so that it cannot forward directed
broadcasts (unless you make use of this feature):

rtr(enable)# configure terminal
rtr(config)# interface ethernet 0/0      <check with netprogs>
rtr(config-if)# no ip directed-broadcast
rtr(config-if)# end

Also, if you are regularly receiving attacks from the sites below
you may need to add something similar to below to your router config.
for each network that you mention - you also appear to reference
16-bit ip-addr. spaces. This is huge and you may want to scale this
down by getting correct masks (by inspecting the source ip's and
doing a `whois`) or continually blocking each attack on an individual
ip address basis - which would mean continuing to harass your netprogs.

deny ip 37.72.0.0 0.0.255.255 any     (watch direction - netprogs)
deny tcp host 37.72.AAA.BBB any     -single ip
deny tcp host 37.72.AAA.BBB any eq 80 -single ip/protocol (WWW)

Hope this is a start.
Dr J.