Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: A question for the list...

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:39:12 -0500

<SNIP>

At last year's Blackhat conference in Las Vegas, Tim Mullen presented what
turned out to be a very controversial proposal. Briefly, he questioned why
it would be inappropriate to strike back and disable (if not remove) a
worm from hosts that are clearly not being adequately managed.
</SNIP>

I have isolate the item above since it contains the gist of your question. My personal feeling is that sooner or later the owners of the mis-managed devices in question will be held to the legal definition of negligence which covers the "failure to take safe guards used by a reasonable and prudent individual". As a former claims adjustor, I have considerable experience with this particular bit of legal doctrine, so I feel fairly confident in speaking about it. If someone else is an attorney, please correct me if I am in error.

Juries tend to hold professionals to a MUCH higher standard than the general public. IT professions who do not patch and manage their gear in accordance with generally accepted industry standard may well find themselves not only out of a job, but out of a lot of money. Negligence by a "professional", at least in Texas, allows the employer, when sued, to litigate against the individual under "malfeasance of duty". There are many precedents from other fields for this - HMO's who were sued and have in turn sued the doctor they employed, Firms that have sued individual accountants whom they employed, etc. It is only a matter of time until this bleeds over in to IT. Personally, I would welcome it as it would greatly reduce the number of nimrods in our profession.

My contention is that we should be litigating against the people who are attacking our networks. Out with the notion that "they cannot help it". When the patch has been out for year, and very few people have applied it, something drastic needs to be changed. Companies will not pay attention to and address this issue adequately until it impacts their bottom line. When some high-up manager doesn't get his usual fat bonus because his company had to pay out a large settlement, things will start to change and rather quickly.
--
Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." --Plato

*** Wireless LAN Policies for Security & Management - NEW White Paper ***
Just like wired networks, wireless LANs require network security policies that are enforced to protect WLANs from known vulnerabilities and threats. Learn to design, implement and enforce WLAN security policies to lockdown enterprise WLANs.