Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP/SYN Flood

From: Sebastian Jaenicke <tsa () jaenicke org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:39:16 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:47:21AM +0500, Muhammad Naseer Bhatti wrote:
[..]
And the list goes oon .. The question I want to ask here, is the
network/router poorly configured at my NOC which is allowing
broadcasts/networks to pass through it? If so, how can I assist them to fix
it? I am not a Cisco guru, so might need someone to give me some hints so
that I can pass that to the poor NOC techs.

"no ip directed-broadcast" disallows packets targeted at broadcast
addresses. Note this applies to destination, but not source IP address.
This is the default setting in Cisco IOS 12.0 and later.

- Sebastian
--
Sebastian Jaenicke                                   Disce aut discede!
whois pgpkey-18AC0BE4 -h whois.ripe.net|perl -ne's-^certif: +--&&print'