Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting reply

From: Joe McAlerney <joey () SILICONDEFENSE COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:17:35 -0700

H Carvey wrote:

Interesting reply to a scanning alert I sent out.

Nothing personal to anyone...but if you've got time to
report every little port scan that you get (call it
what you will...scan, probe, whatever...) then you've
got a LOT of time on your hands!

After reading this list, and others on SF...I still
fail to see why so many folks are reporting port
scans,

Because much if not most of the time the source host is compromised.
It's more of a favor to them then an overdefensive act.  I fail to see
why you wouldn't help someone out when you have the power to do so.

-Joe M.