Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting reply

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:30:10 -0700

I've read and received via email several responses.  I
can fully appreciate the idea that potentially
compromised boxes should be reported to the owner.

I have taken the stance of personal
responsibility...basically, each organization is
responsible for the security of their own systems.
With various tools available today, it is relatively
easy to automate security scanning of systems.  In
fact, I have taken steps to try and inform NT admins
(in this forum and the Focus-MS forum) how
ridiculously easy it is to automate policy-based
security management on NT.

Given the various available options...from consulting
companies, to commercial tools, to freeware tools and
scripting languages like Perl, providing a decent
security management program, even on a tight budget,
is easy.

However, security consulting gave me a heavy dose of
reality.  I realize this isn't always the case.

Pointing out to people that they may have a
compromised is generally a good thing, I agree.