Security Incidents mailing list archives

Interesting reply

From: Bryan Andersen <bryan () visi com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:10:48 -0500

Interesting reply to a scanning alert I sent out.  The scan was
initially an echo request followed up by specific port probes to
a number of different ports.  It was the third scan I'd received
of that style in the past few days.  The others both had
compromised machine replies from the ISP.

<snip>
        It has come to our attention that you may be experiencing port
scans
originating from one of our customers inside the State of Minnesota Mnet
network.  These port scans to our knowledge are NOT hostile.  The scans
are part
of the EGS Readiness Assessment sponsored by the Office of Technology
and
conducted by Scientech, a consulting firm hired by OT.  We are working
with OT
and Scientech to ensure their activities don't span other networks as
was the
case recently.

        If you identify any more unusual port scans activities
originating from
addresses that belong to the State, send an email to nic () nic state mn us
identifying the source and destination of the scan and we will take
appropriate action.
<snip>

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan () visi com   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |