Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IP Black list?

From: berubes () DISCREET COM (Sebastien Berube)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:25:39 -0400

Travis is totally right, but even worse, could you immagine what one could
do with a simple port scanner that does spoofing?  With such a simple
tool, you could block ANY IP address and/or netblock on the internet for
all real-time black-hole list subscriber.  That's scary!  There's no easy
solution.  The RBL has the most sensible solution.  Nominations are an
excellent way to go.  If the person being attacked tries to inform the
attacker they will be black listed, and the attacker doesn't respond, then
he deservs to be put on a black list.  And still this solution is not
perfect...