Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IP Black list?

From: oogali () INTRANOVA NET (Omachonu Ogali)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:05:22 -0400

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Stuart Staniford wrote:

I'm curious to know what folks think of the idea of a real-time blacklist
for misbehaving IP addresses/blocks.  Some reputable person/organization
could maintain it, trusted folks known to the co-ordinator could recommend
IPs to blockade, and then anyone who chose to could implement the list into
router or firewall rules.

This would add to the lag of the Internet as each packet comes across the
router, it would be checked against a blacklist. This is not a sensible
idea.  Simply null route each network you don't want accessing your
network...

--
| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali () intranova net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |