Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Increase in activity from China

From: r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ (Russell Fulton)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:27:32 +1200

On Tue, 30 May 2000 10:38:30 -0700 Bill Pennington
<billp () ROCKETCASH COM> wrote:

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in network scans originating
from China based IPs? It seems like the day the normalized trade
relations bill passed the house, I started getting scans from China.
Before I had not noticed any scans from China. Does anyone have a good
contact to report China based probes?

I have been seeing regular, low level (one every few weeks) scans from
mainland China for at least 6 months now.  There is no national Chinese
CERT yet (there was a web page for a little while but email bounced.
Then the web page disappeared).

There is however ccert.edu.cn who look after the edu.cn domain.  They
will assist with finding contact info and translating reports for other
sites in .cn.  Very helpful people.

email report () ccert edu cn,

web: http://www.ccert.edu.cn/index.en.html

Cheers, Russell.