Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IRC-bots: what are they for ?

From: forlamp () NS NQUE COM (Ninja Information Systems.)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:57:51 -0600

Hi, there is a genre of kids that use irc called "packet monkeys", they
are the ones who dont have much of a clue, but consider themseelves elite
because they can "flood" people off networks, and prevent them from
accessing things (such as irc, and irc channels).  Now, the reason they
install eggdrops and "packet tool networks" is to "hold" control of their
"takeovers" that they execute on IRC.  If you have a machine that's been
penetrated and find eggdrop, it's probly advisable to look for rootkits
and other pacekting tools that these kids use.  They like to use big
"botnets" to keep control of channels they takeover, to prevent others
from taking it back, or from them.

-fl