Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: @home: Is *anyone* really home there???

From: sinster () BALLTECH NET (Jon Paul, Nollmann)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:45:24 -0800

I, too, am a security consultant.  I have found two things about ISPs:

  1) nearly all ISPs have terms in their use contracts that are
     intended to stop hackers, but actually stop us security
     consultants.
  2) of those, nearly all are happy to renegotiate their use
     contracts.  You just have to say "that's what I do for a
     living", and they'll understand.  In fact, a great deal
     of ISPs are very pleased when they find out that one of
     their potential customers is a security consultant, and
     will go out of their way to attract his business.

If @home is one of those few who won't bend, then I suggest you choose
a different ISP: they're easy to find, even in the US midwest.

--
Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn                      sinster () balltech net
Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.