Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Legal Question about privacy

From: tcleary2 () csc com au
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:14:42 +0800

But if you break into the AT&T Phone network and then begin using their
phones and talking about how you are going to "stick it to AT&T" then they
should have a >right to monitor your communication and trace your call.
You broke into their equipment.  It's kind of like if I had two vehicles,
one of which I didn't care about, and that >one happened to get stolen.
Then I contacted the police who tracked down the thief, but they told me
that he could drive around in the car and do whatever he wanted >until he
decided to bring it back or wreck it.  Everyone would think that was
crazy.

Dear Josh,

I was interested to read your email because I think your use of analogies
from the law enforcement field is illuminating.

However, as an ex-cop I can give you a counter example that might be
interesting.

Under U.K. law ( the type I used to enforce... ) you couldn't report a
hire car stolen, or indeed if you lent your car to someone and they failed
to return it ( cf. a honeypot where you permit a hacker to "drive" your
system? )

The reason for this is that in order to have someone else take the wheel (
and thus the risks inherent in being a driver ) they must not have
permission from the owner/keeper to drive the car away before they commit
an offence.

In order to prove most offences, one of the fundamental principles is that
of "unauthorised" activity.

One of the potential problems of trying to prove a crime with evidence of
activities happening on a honeypot is that the "offender" may try to claim
that because he could never affect anything outside the "playpen" and
since he must have had implicit permission to get onto the box ( you did
leave it insecure on purpose, right?  ;-) then he has not committed any
crimes.

Letting people walk under such circumstances is the kind of thing courts
do.....

Regards,

tom.

Security Consultant/Analyst
CSC
Ph: +61 8 9429 6478    Email: tcleary2 () csc com au
This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the
message permanently from your system and destroy any copies.