Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There!

From: "Chris Carlson \(OTG\)" <ccarls () microsoft com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 19:57:52 -0700

David Gillett wrote:

A functional definition can only really be based on one or both of two
criteria:

 (a) what it does

 (b) what we do with it

If you cut away those supports, then it just means what the speaker
chooses >it to mean at any given moment.

Agreed, when I think honeypot I don't think of a technology rather I
think of a concept whose scope incorporates the use of many given
technologies implemented in various ways. How about:

'A honeypot is an information related concept that incorporates one or
more systems or technologies. When applied as a whole these systems
present an artificial or deceptive front (facade).'

-Chris