Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot Definition - Almost There!

From: "Eric D. Williams" <eric () infobro com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:05:28 -0400

On Friday, May 23, 2003 6:55 PM, Chris Carlson (OTG)
[SMTP:ccarls () microsoft com] wrote:
cc> I started down the path of 'information gathering' as well. But
cc> retracted because of the application of a honeypot as a hindering
cc> mechanism in which no real information would be gathered rather than
cc> served.
8<...>8

Chris,

I see your point, that is a bugga-boo.  Taking an additional pass would most
likely lead me down the same path so I'll concede to the latest very good
semantic patch:

'A honeypot is an information gathering tool that derives it's value
from unauthorized or illicit use.'

one step further (hopefully not treading over old ground):

'A honeypot is an information gathering tool that derives it's value
from misdirected, unauthorized or illicit use.'

This to me covers the prospective activities for informational analysis,
forensics (a semantic derivative), and the 'sinkhole'/ 'tripwire' function.

-e