Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: honey pots and laws

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy <adulau () foo be>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:17:58 +0100 (CET)

Yes but  is only  a convention. There  is a proposal  directive (quite
linked to this  convention). If they are a  national application, this
should  come from  the directive  (IMHO). For  the moment,  it's quite
vague.

For  the comment,  there is  a discussion  for  "legitimate scientific
researchers", maybe Honeynet could felt into this part.

(12)    There is a need to avoid over-criminalisation, particularly of
        trivial or minor
conduct, as well as the  need to avoid criminalising right-holders and
        authorised
persons  such  as  legitimate  private or  business  users,  managers,
        controllers and
operators of networks  and systems, legitimate scientific researchers,
        and authorised
persons testing  a system,  whether a person  within the company  or a
        person appointed
externally and given permission to test the security of a system.

The problem with legislation is not easy...