funsec mailing list archives

Re: netiquette argument of the month

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:10:47 -0400 (EDT)

Mail clients handle dups well, as do mailing lists.

Some mail clients handle dups well.  Others...less well.

Also, I like to know when someone replies to my messages, rather than
wait until I have time to review list traffic (personal preference).

Thus, we all save on time,

Except those who get hit with multiple copies of mail.

and the netiquette you quote is quite quaint, dated to the 1980s.

Politeness never goes out of style.

I have no problem if you follow it, but I personally choose to hit
reply-all automagically unless my client supports reply-list (which
it does for MailMan).

Well, I can't really say you have anyone but yourself to be blamed if
you get blocked for your rudeness.  (That's what assuming everyone
else's software works the way yours does amounts to.  It's also what
burning others' resources (mailbox space, bandwidth, human time) for
your convenience amounts to.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org