funsec mailing list archives

netiquette argument of the month

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 02:13:51 +0300

On 7/10/10 5:56 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:19:04PM -0700, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
My mail is now rejected by Rich Kulawiec on that basis. At least, that's
the header I got on the bounce from the last post you all saw.

Actually, your mail is rejected here because you haven't got the basic
courtesy to follow up to mailing list traffic on the list (only) or
privately (only).  It's rude and wasteful to send redundant copies,
with some rare exceptions involving items that are important and/or
time-critical.

Not getting into whatever discussion you have going with Tom, will you
be surprised if I said I disagree on this point?

Mail clients handle dups well, as do mailing lists. Two layers of
protection again the horrible double messages. What *most* mail clients
do not do is handle reply-to-list well (practical + non annoying). To
save on time, I hit reply-all (practical).

Also, I like to know when someone replies to my messages, rather than
wait until I have time to review list traffic (personal preference).

Thus, we all save on time, and the netiquette you quote is quite quaint,
dated to the 1980s. I have no problem if you follow it, but I personally
choose to hit reply-all automagically unless my client supports
reply-list (which it does for MailMan).

        Gadi.