funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:57:13 -0000

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:53:54 -0000, <chris () blask org> wrote:
So, the question is:  what is the best linux distribution for home use?

My personal choice is Fedora. The other alternative is Ubuntu (which I
have nothing against, I just can't get used to the packaging interface on
it; which is just my bias, not that there's anything wrong with the
packaging interface).

The only problem you'll find with flavours of Linux for desktop use is
with old Nvidia cards: you have two drivers, the binary one from nvidia
and the open source one. In my case, one allows me to use 1280x1024, but
doesn't work with Compiz; the other only allows me 1024x768, but works
with Compiz. Which is a tad annoying.

Then again, as I only run Linux on my server box, I'm going to be
scrapping it and moving to a sheevaplug running Ubuntu (to keep the better
half happy: 5W of regular power, as opposed to ~35W), but having it
headless.

dave