funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:47:20 +0000

2009/11/29 Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

Daughter.1 has picked up a nasty, that wants her to pay for an antivirus,
and keeps nagging at her. She already had Norton, but that doesn't seem to
want to know. I don't know if she's updated it - probably not.

I didn't fancy wrestling with the malware to try to remove it, or go back
to some previous checkpoint (there probably isn't one).

I offered her two solutions.

1) reinstall XP. She doesn't have the CDs (I don't think they came with
the computer). I suspect you can't buy XP now. Vista will cost her about a
hundred pounds, and then she'll need to buy a new word processor, I'd
guess. Probably another hundred or two.

I suspect that a new laptop would be cheaper. I remember when we used to
wonder if a virus could actually destroy the hardware. Well, you don't
need to when it's cheaper to buy a new computer than to get rid of the
virus.

2) I install Linux. Zero cost, and she most likely won't ever see another
malware.

It's a no-brainer, really.

Do the folks at MS realise what this is doing to them?

3) use combofix to remove the nasty. I've used this quite a few times
reccently, worked every time.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK