funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:41:15 -0800

For extra fun, redefine the "line" in the phrase "crossing the line."

So far we've been looking at the legality of this act in terms of the relevant British
law.  However, did anyone check that all of those infected computers were, in
fact, in Britain?  I suspect that not only did this go unchecked, but that, in fact, a
large number were in other jurisdictions.

So, leave us suppose that one of the said machines was here in the Great White
North.  Our criminal code states that anyone who, without colour of right (I love
that phrase) alters (I think it's alters, but it might be modifies) any data on a
computer system is guilty of an offence.

Anyone think of any way to command a botnet without changing any data?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We have met the enemy and he is us.           - Walt Kelly 1913-1973
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/