funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:23:59 -0400

* Alex Eckelberry:

But malware researchers routinely deal with botnets for analysis
purposes.  It would be considered a high crime indeed to allow a
spambot
to actually send spam to the outside world, even for "testing"
purposes.

I think you've missed the peer-reviewed paper for an ACM conference
where the researchers did exactly that.  It's probably not even an
obscure group, I recognized the name of one of the coauthors (and I
usually can't remember names). 8-/

Yes, I missed it.  Not sure if the point you're making is to exonerate
the BBC or counter my argument.  But I'd love to see the document.

At any rate, I think everyone agrees that it's unethical to play with a
live botnet to send spam, even for research purposes (meaning, you're
directing a user's computer to do something without their knowledge and
assent, which is fundamentally a bad thing).

OTH, we've installed spam zombies on machines here in closed networks
for the purpose of analyzing their behavior to design mitigation
strategies.  The self-generated spam doesn't go anywhere but to another
machine in our network. If that's the case with the ACM paper, I don't
see anything wrong with that at all.

Alex