funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] The why of the Iraq War

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:26:41 -0500 (CDT)

This thread is dead, no politics.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 rms () computerbytesman com wrote:

I personally can't say what it was a war for

To understand the why of the 2003 Iraq War is actually pretty simple. One
needs to understand history.  In particular, the Reagan adminstration's
dubious support for Saddam in the Iraq/Iran War of the 1980s.  This photo
of Rumsfeld's visit to Iraq in 1983 speaks volumes:

   http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blsaddamrumsfeld.htm

The majority of promotors of the 2003 Iraq War (Rumsfeld, Cheney, Perle,
Wolowitz, etc.) were also former members of the Reagan adminstration.  The
2003 Iraq War was simply their revenge after Saddam stabbed them in the
back by invading Kuwait.  They had to wait 12 years after George Bush Sr.
refused to take out Saddam in 1991 to get this revenge.

Of course the war is also about oil.  If Iraq didn't have the 2nd largest
oil reserves in the world, no one would have cared about Saddam.  Not in
1981, not in 1991, and not in 2003.

Richard