funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Highway safety

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:27:59 -0400

Now if they set up the checkpoint in your driveway or even your living
room, then I would expect that a violation of rights has occurred.

One would think this would long ago been settled in court if otherwise.

---> (I understand the "your property" deal I think you're trying to
convey, but why not at the entrance to your street then?  or just in
front of your house on the public street.  Where would my rights NOT be
violated?  The 4th amendment states that we are protected from unlawful
search and seizure, basically the authorities need a reason to search me
or to pull me over if I'm driving.
    Ever try to simply refuse to answer any questions at a DUI
checkpoint and just turn around?  You'll land in lockup faster than you
know what happened.  If you manage to turn around, you'll have the blue
lights behind you just as fast.   If you don't submit, you're presumed
guilty trying to hide something.... regardless of "innocent until
proven...."
    If I'm swerving, or driving "funky" pull me over and give me a test
if you feel I'm drunk, I have no problem with that....  but DON'T pull
everyone over hoping to catch someone whose drunk behind the wheel....

    The only type of checkpoint that I would remotely think is needed is
when a child gets kidnapped and there's an amber alert....  but even
then I'm sure the stops get abused....

  Mike B