funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Senators Propose Repeal of National ID Card Law

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:13:06 -0600

On 12/15/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

There are now state-by-state laws that require presentation of ID for
alcohol purchases up to 27 years old. The legal limit is still 21, but
Missouri will card people even if they look older.

But 21 year olds, are legally adults. Why can't they buy a beer?

I agree, it's wrong to allow children to buy things like alcohol and
cigarettes, but aren't you going over the top there?

Surely you're not so dense...

Our soon-to-be-former-senator Talent introduced a bill that was passed
requiring over the counter medications that contain pseudoephedrine to be
logged and you have to register in a national database to do so. Its
supposed to counter the cheap production of methamphetamine. Funny thing,
tho, demand for sudafed actually went up in 2006.....

Again, I'm a bit baffled. Either something is a prescription drug only, in
which case you have a doctor's prescription for it, and it's a controlled
substance, or else it's in the same class as aspirin, and anyone can buy
it without needing anything.

Are you baffled because you're *trying* to be difficult or because you
don't understand the concept of categories? You mention two categories
yourself and Dennis told you that the government had recently created
a third. That's not confusing at all.

If you want to be confused we could discuss drug schedules and such,
but that would be off-topic.

And, finally, you probably don't need a national ID in the UK because
they're tracking your every move via CSTV and facial
recognition....and have it tied in with your national health care
database and revenue records... ;)