funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vendors's DUMB question

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:55:35 -0700

So at work (BigFix), we still have a number of customers using NT4 and Win9x. NT4 is still used a lot in our financials vertical, and most of them have the contract NT4 patches still from Microsoft. We also find that Win9x is still big in Asia/Pac Rim. Most of our 9x support questions come from there.

Our stuff is systems management software, agent-based. So while the backend is Win2K+, the agents go back to Win95 and NT4.

So far, we've been able to keep a single Windows agent. We have to take care to check OS version, and only load some DLLs at runtime, etc...

The potential upcoming barriers are Vista, which has somewhat changed the UI model, and I believe the newest MS compiler is supposed to be dropping support for the oldest OSes.

                                        BB